Digital conference on design for sustainable cities, on June 3
Welcome to "Design for Sustainable Cities", a digital conference. At this event we want to initiate a discussion about how we together build the sustainable society of the future as well as innovative and inclusive places where we want to live and work, with design, culture and creativity as a starting point.
To solve the climate crises and other societal challenges we face, art, creativity and design must act together with science and technology to find new ways to change society. That is why the New European Bauhaus was initiated by Ursula Von der Leyen, President of the EU in January 2021. The initiative connects the European New Green Deal with people's living environments to build a sustainable and inclusive future with design, culture and creativity as a starting point.
We welcome politicians, researchers, decision-makers, architects, designers, urban planners, entrepreneurs and others interested in the discussion.
Speakers at the meeting include, among others:
- Amanda Lind, Swedish Minister of Culture and Democracy
- Pia Sandvik, CEO, Research Institutes of Sweden, RISE
- Bernd Fesel, Chairman of the European Creative Business Network
- as well as many more experts, researchers, creators and designers
Sign up here and see the full program below.
The event is held in English, is free of charge and open to anyone interested in connecting with a growing community of creative thinkers.
Programme: June 3,10:00-13:30 CET
- Amanda Lind, Minister of Culture and Democracy, Sweden
- Pia Sandvik, VD, Research Institutes of Sweden, RISE
- Dieter Muller, Vice rektor, Umeå University (tbc)
- Janet Ågren, Kommunalråd, Umeå
The Movement of New European Bauhaus and the Cultural and Creative Sector
- Michela Magas, Chair, Industry Commons Foundation (tbc)
- Bernd Fesel, Chair, European Creative Business Network
Panel Talk 1: Sustainable, Beautiful and Inclusive Cities
- Charles Landry, Author and inventor of Creative Cities
- Helena Bjarnegård, National Architect of Sweden
- Commenting remarks: Mats Widbom, CEO, Svensk Form
Keynote Dialogues: Design and Aesthetics of Sustainability
- Dan Hill, Visiting Professor UCL, Director of Strategic Design, Vinnova
- Ambra Trotto, Senior Researcher, RISE and Associate Professor, Umeå Institute of Design
- Richard van der Laken, Co-founder, What Design Can Do
- Commenting remarks: Jonas Olsson, CEO, Swedish Industrial Design Foundation (SVID)
Panel Talk 2: Cultural and Creative Sector - a Driving Force for Sustainability
- Anna Parry, Co-founder, Proto Proto
- Simon Anund, Co-founder, Verk
- Johanna Forsberg, Swedish Designer
- Commenting Remarks: Marlene Johansson, senior researcher, RISE
Closing words: Our Next Steps Forward
The event is co-organised by: RISE Research Institutes of Sweden, Umeå kommun, Svensk Form, Swedish Industrial Design Foundation (SVID) partnering with New European Bauhaus, European Creative Business Network, Design by Umeå, eXpression Umeå, Region Västerbotten and creARTive.
Information about the event
Date: June 3, 2021
Time: 10:00 - 13:30 CET
Last day to register: May 31, 2021
Price: Free of charge