Big data/Machine learning projects for the European automotive sectors. Fundamentals for big data processing, machine learning and platforms http://www.hops.io needed to process large amounts of data. ML algorithms, sensor, log and maintenance data. One example is processing traffic flow analysis from 12 years of historical data using a technique called LSTM to predict queue buildup. Visualisations, reports, videos are available from http://bada.sics.se. Supporting standardisation through the Big Data Value Association (BDVA) will bring our technical competence to a wider audience, particularly, algorithmic transparency in neural networks to deploy AI-enabled solutions which can be explainable.
2. Latency reduction ready-sidus.se, running until Sept. 2018.
Various methods for delay reduction in the Internet, sensor networks and cloud centers. TCP protocol changes (MP-TCP), P4 processing and TSNM wireless communications. Apple Siri uses MP-TCP. Essentially many aspects that 5G doesn't cover. Clean-slate approach to decoupling the client-server Internet model: searchable, identifiable, and cacheable objects. 9 years of VoIP and real time services for IP networks, including kernel modifications and our own VoIP tool (sphone) plus large measurement campaigns. Investigated the TCP protocol over variable capacity networks. Implemented a number of different weighted fair queuing algorithms (WFQ) for *BSD, both in user-space and in the kernel. All these projects were with Swedish and European industry.
3. Nov. 1995 - Oct. 1997
Worked on the design of a multicast-based file system, Jetfile with sponsorship from HP. Jetfile was a fully working file system whose results published in 1996.
Educational Related Activities
IEEE 2018 Vehicular Networking Conference (VNC)
Smart Vehicles 2018.
Big data workshop 2017 (part of ACM Sigcom
Computer Communications 2008-present
CSNDSP 2008 organized a Special Session on QoS, Reliability and Performance Modelling Graz,
Austria, July 2008.
Special Session Co-Organizers: Hind Castel and Periklis Chatzimisios
Next Generation Teletraffic and Wired/Wireless Advanced Networking (NEW2AN 2004 and 2005)
Editors: Y.Kouheryavy, J.Harju, A.Kouheryavy
Thirteenth Annual Multimedia Computing and Networking (MMCN06) Editors: S. Chandra and C. Griwodz
External course evaluator for Multimedia Course at University of Oslo 2007
Supervised 25 masters students
Supervised five undergraduate students in an IP telephony course
I. Marsh and B. Bjurling, "12 years of mining road traffic data" ECDA 2018, bada.sics.se
I. Marsh, "CheesePi: Measurements and the regulator" ANRNW Prague 2017, cheesepi.sics.se
L. McNamara, I. Marsh, S. Forslin, CheesePi: A Raspberry Pi based measurement platform, Research and Applications of Internet Measurements (RAIM), 2015.
A. Hess, I. Marsh, D. Gillblad, Exploring Communication and Mobility Behaviour of 3G Network
Users and Its Temporal Consistency, International Conference on Communications ICC 2015.
R. Potys, N. Ali, I. Marsh, F. Osmani, NetInf TP: a receiver-driven protocol for ICN data transport,
I. Marsh, VANET communication: a traffic flow approach, PIMRC 2012.
A. Gunnar and I. Marsh, Efficient cache management for content distribution in Information Centric
Networks, Swedish National Computer Networking Workshop, 2012.
B. Ahlgren, M. D'Ambrosio, C. Dannewitz, M. Marchisio, I. Marsh, B. Ohlman, K. Pentikousis, R.
Rembarz, O. Strandberg, V. Vercellone Considerations for a Network of Information, ReArch, 2008.
W.Leister, T. Sutinen, S.Boudko, I. Marsh, C. Griwodz and P. Halvorsen The 6th International
Conference on Advances in Mobile Computing and Multimedia, Linz, Austria, November 2008.
M. Varela, I. Marsh and B. Gronvall A Systematic Study of PESQ's Performance (from a Networking
Perspective) In Proceedings of MESAQIN'06, Prague, Czech Republic, June 2006.
I. Marsh and B. Gronvall Performance evaluation of voice handovers in real 802.11 networks The
Second International Workshop On Wireless Network Measurement, Boston, Massachusetts, USA,
I. Marsh, B. Gronvall and F. Hammer The design and implementation of a quality-based handover
trigger 5th IFIP-TC6 Networking 2006, Coimbra, Portugal May 2006.
I. Marsh, J. C. M. Severiano, V. Y. D. Nunes and G. Q. Maguire Jr IEEE 802.11b voice quality
assessment using cross-layer information 1st Workshop on Multimedia over Wireless, Athens, Greece
I. Marsh "Quality Assessment of Voice quality over 802.11 networks" Infocom student workshop
poster, Miami, USA. March 2005
J.C.M. Severiano, G. Maguire Jr., I. Marsh and V. Y. D. Nunes "Cross-layer measurements using
voice in 802.11b networks" 2nd Swedish National Computer Networks Workshop, Karlstad, Sweden,
O. Hagsand, I. Mas, I. Marsh and G. Karlsson, "Self-admission control for IP telephony using early
quality estimation," IFIP Networking 2004, Athens, Greece, July 2004.
I. Marsh, F. Li and G. Karlsson, "Wide Area Measurements of VoIP Quality," Quality of Future
Internet Services, Stockholm, Sweden, October 2003.
O. Hagsand, I. Marsh and K. Hanson, "Sicsophone: A Low-delay Internet Telephony Tool," IEEE
29th Euromicro Conference, Belek, Turkey, September 2003.
P. Biyani, O. Hagsand, G. Karlsson, I. Marsh and I.Ma?s, "Early Estimation of Voice over IP Quality," 21st NORDUnet Networking Conference, Reykjavik, Iceland, August 2003.
I. Kaj and I. Marsh, "Modelling the Arrival Process for Packet Audio," Quality of Service in Multiservice IP Networks, Milan, Italy, February 2003.
I. Marsh and F. Li, "A VoIP Measurement Infrastructure," 16th Nordic Teletraffic Seminar, Espoo, Finland, August 2002.
H. Abrahamsson, O. Hagsand and I. Marsh, "TCP over Variable Capacity Links: A Simulation
Study," 7th IFIP/IEEE International Workshop on Protocols for High Speed Networks, Berlin, Germany, April 2002.
B. Ahlgren, A. Andersson, O. Hagsand and I. Marsh, "Dimensioning Links for IP Telephony,"
Internet Telephony Workshop 2001, New York, USA, April 2001.
Major technical accomplishments
1. Modeling of mobile users with communication capabilities (2015-present). Macroscopic fluid flow models were developed to predict road flow and connectivity on road networks. The population density determines the radio connectivity in sparse conditions, and may even contribute to radio interference in dense situations. We have modeled the density using an approach from physics and engineering known as traffic flow theory. It is an example of ITS with road traffic flow and communications. We have developed analytic+numerical solutions for estimating road densities. Recently, we obtained 12 years of real traffic flow data to validate our research, more at bada.sics.se.
2. A networked measurement platform (2016). CheesePI is an Internet measurement infrastructure using Raspberry PIs for quantification of Quality of Experience (QoE) for the home user. It measures network characteristics between PIs placed at selected locations around a country. The goal of the project is to measure the quality in a free, neutral and unbiased manner. Individual PIs store the measurement data in a schemaless database, whilst the central server http://cheesepi.sics.se stores the aggregated data from each PI for analysis, visualisation and dissemination. CheesePi is in use with one larger operator in Sweden and is being evaluated
by the regulator.
3. A real-time voice handover module (2003). The goal was to create a fully-automated module for voice handovers based on network measurements. A WiFi-GSM PBX product, we implemented a cross-platform module using measured network parameters and precomputed PESQ scores to infer voice quality. The software is still used in products today.
4. In 1996 we designed and implemented a global working filesystem for HP, called JetFile. It was based on Scalable Reliable Multicast. The system was (and still is) well ahead of its time, especially with file systems such as HDFS being available in a cluster only, whereas JetFile worked worldwide (akin to AFS). We used knowledge of multicast (many to many) mechanisms plus scaling issues, building a reliable file system on an unreliable (UDP) network protocol.
- ANIARA Project - Automation of Network Edge Infrastructure and Applications wit…
- Data-driven traffic flow : Summary of experiments
- Data-driven traffic flow : A state-of-the-art report
- Evolving 5G : ANIARA, an edge-cloud perspective
- Evolving 5G: ANIARA, an edge-cloud perspective
- Connected Vehicles in Cellular Networks: Multi-access versus Single-access Perf…
- Selecting Operator in 3G/4G Networks for Time-Critical C-ITS Applications
- CheesePi : Research, results, and the regulator
- A lightweight measurement platform for home internet monitoring
- Data Readiness for BADA : BADA main study 1, FFI/Vinnova grant 2015-00677