Railway - From Infrastructure and Vehicles to Research and Innovation
RISE has a wide range of expertise in a variety of areas within railway applications. Our competence ranges from technical testing, simulation and evaluation to measurement methods, timetable planning, service development and automation.
At RISE, research has a prominent place and the projects are run both nationally, with funding from financiers such as the Swedish Transport Administration and Vinnova, and internationally, with funding primarily from the EU in programs such as Shift2Rail. RISE holds both railway specialists and subject specialists linking together knowledge in different application areas. RISE is also active in standardization work.
What makes RISE unique is that we can provide support throughout all parts of the innovation process, from applied research to testing and certification of materials and products. We have both technical and social science perspectives and we take both the society and the individuals into consideration.
Testing, Evaluation and Certification
RISE is accredited according to ISO 17025 and has large test & demo resources in many areas that are relevant for railway applications. In Borås there are test beds for mechanical tests, fire tests, climatic testis, acoustic tests and many more. For example, within infrastructure and concrete construction we are a testing partner and perform tests of, for instance, ballast and concrete and track and vehicle components for use on railways. Our test reports can be used as part of development testing or as a basis for type testing or internal production control for CE marking and to show compliance with other requirements set by the Swedish Transport Administration and other procurement agencies. RISE is also an NMI (National Metrology Institute) for power and energy and photometry and radiometry.
Research and Innovation
RISE's research and innovation activities in railway applications are wide in scope and include infrastructure, vehicles and planning/management of the railway system and much more. We have expertise in, for instance, opertation and maintenance, infrastructure, vehicles and transportation flows. Some of our specialist areas are strength, corrosion and service life, timetable planning, resource optimization, measurement technology, noise and digitalisation. We also work with organizational transformation and implementation of the innovation process.
RISE collaborates with several research centres, authorities and companies in the railway sector and is part of the research programme Capacity in the Rail Traffic (KAJT), which is one of Sweden's main actors in railway research, and head of the BeFo Foundation for Rock Technical Research.
RISE kontaktpersoner mot Trafikverkets ansvariga för Flagship Areas (FA) inom Europé´s Rail (fortsättning på Shift2Rail) listas nedan och kan kontaktas via länkar uppe till höger på denna sida.
RISE contact persons communicating with the Swedish Transport Administration's heads of Flagship Areas (FA) within Europé ́s Rail (continuation of Shift2Rail) are listed below and can be contacted via links in the top right of this page.
- Martin Joborn – FA1
- Marvin Damschen – FA2, FA5
- Glenn Langvik – FA3
- Hans Arvidsson – FA4, FA6
- Kristina Andersson – FA7
- Madhav Mishra – FA8
FA1: European Rail Traffic & Mobility Management in Multimodal Environment
FA2: Digital & Automated or Autonomous Train Operations
FA3: Intelligent & Integrated Asset Management
FA4: A Sustainable and Green Rail System
FA5: Sustainable Competitive Digital Green Rail Freight Services
FA6: Regional Rail Services / Innovative Rail Services to Revitalise Capillary Lines
FA7: Innovation on New Approaches for Guided Transport Modes
FA8: Transversal Topics - Digital data, Common Railway dictionary, Conceptual Data Model, Enablers; Federated Distributed Dataspace Infrastructure for Rail Systems/Subsystems and Railways Digital Twin.
- Mat4Rail - Fire resistant composite materials and smart modular design
- ARCC - Automatic Rail Cargo Consortium
- TTK - Timetable quality
- GRAPRO - Graphical timetables based forecasted data
- SamEff - Allocating railway tracks using market mechanisms and optimization
- Utspridd - Utveckling av mått för störningars spridning och påverkan på punktlighet
Test & Demo
- Testbed for sustainable composite production | RISE
- Testing and development of composite materials and manufacturing methods | RISE
- Battery, hybrid system, fuelcell and hydrogen applications | RISE
- IT Testbed for EMC & Wireless Communication | RISE
- Sensors and sensor systems | RISE
- Swedish Electric Transport Laboratory (SEEL) | RISE
- Testbed for atmospheric corrosion testing | RISE
- Testbed for accelerated corrosion testing | RISE
- DigiCORE – Digital Collaboration and Research | RISE
- Applied Laboratory for Digital Transformation | RISE
- Cyber range - test bed for cyber security | RISE
- Testbed for Human Product Interaction | RISE
- Testbed for components and large structures | RISE
- Mechanical reliability and life | RISE
- Sound & Vibration testbed | RISE
- High voltage laboraty | RISE
- Product tests in extreme climate | RISE
- Marine environment and Highway road environment | RISE
- Large Fire Test Hall Borås | RISE
- Fire furnaces for testing the fire resistance of constructions | RISE
- Reaction-to-Fire Laboratories | RISE
- Testbed Paint center – surface treatment and painting in pilot and full scale | RISE
- Transparent materials | RISE