Master Thesis: Humanising IoT Security
The Internet of Things (IoT) is emerging as a major new paradigm for technology, offering the potential to change the role of technology in our daily lives as physical devices, vehicles, and buildings all become networked. A central concern with IoT is security – with much technical research focused on creating secure protocols and technologies. In this HCI project however, we focus on “humanising” IoT security. The goal is to provide an understanding of the technical, design, social and political issues that arise when considering IoT systems from a human-centred perspective. What does it mean to feel secure?
Two potential thesis paths are available for two master’s students:
- User study: current practices of domesticating IoT in everyday contexts, and in shared environments (e.g. home, city).
- User-cantered design: engage in design work that will develop novel interactions and/or usable IoT security systems.
You will have a close collaboration with an HCI researcher as well as a cybersecurity researcher in the Cybersecurity Lab. You will have opportunities to demonstrate your work to a broader network of experts within the organization.
- Start Time: As soon as possible after application process
- We would prefer a team of two students
- Scope: 30 hp
- Location: RISE, Computer Science, Kista Application
- Deadline: 26th of January 2021
Who are you?
- You are familiar with Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction Design (IxD), user-cantered design, qualitative and quantitative research methods.
- You are interested in IoT and cybersecurity.
- Design and/or programming skills are appreciated but not required.
- You are open to creative, out-of-the-box suggestions to carry out a study at the time of Covid-19.
Welcome with your application!
If this sounds interesting and you would like to know more, please contact Asreen Rostami https://www.ri.se/sv/asreen-rostami. Applications should include a brief personal letter, CV, and recent grades. Candidates are encouraged to send in their application as soon as possible but at the latest 26th of January 2021. Suitable applicants will be interviewed as applications are received.
Calls from external recruitment companies and sales persons are kindly declined as we rule under the Public Procurement Act.
Master thesis, Human-Computer Interaction, Cybersecurity, Internet of Things, RISE, Stockholm
About the position
Temporary position 3-6 months
Student - Master Thesis/Internship
Last application date
2021-01-26Submit your application