Senior forskareContact Susanne
The idea of this collaborative project is to develop and apply a full-scale model where energy crops and sewage sludge and ashes are included in a cycle. The work involves establishing an energy crop cultivation, where benefits and consequences from all parties' perspectives are to be evaluated.
Aim and goal
The overall objective of the project is to create conditions for energy crops such as reed canary grass, willow and agricultural residues, to be included in cycles that provide profitable production through direct sludge fertilization and through co-combustion of biomass and sludge and recycling of phosphorus ash. The project's interim goals are:
• To establish - in cooperation with agriculture - an energy crop cultivation equivalent to approximately 25 hectares in the vicinity of Borås.
• To fertilize the energy crop with controlled and documented waste sludge from the wastewater plant, harvest and deliver fuel to the CHP plant in Borås.
• Recovering phosphorus from sludge by combusting sludge with energy crops / residues (straw) and then recirculating controlled ashes to adjacent fields and woodland.
• To investigate the prerequisites for the development of existing crops of energy crops in the Borås area.
• Communicate the results to farmers, municipalities, energy companies and industry organizations to reach relevant stakeholders.
Gathering knowledge from several areas in the knowledge chain and demonstrating the benefits and achieving profitability for all parties (agriculture, energy companies and municipalities).
The work involves establishing an energy crop cultivation, where benefits and consequences from all parties' perspectives are to be evaluated. The cultivation will be fertilized with sludge and ash from Borås Energi & Miljö, which will replace commercial fertilizers as widely as possible. The raw material will be harvested and delivered as fuel to the combined heat and power plant in Borås.
By demonstrating the benefit of the innovation system for all parties (farmers, energy producers and municipalities), the project is expected to help more farmers supply biomass to the city's thermal power plants while at the same time gaining access to cheaper nutrients.
Biomass and sludge
Region Värmland, Västra Götaland Region
RISE roll i projektet, projektledare /koordinator/deltagare