Assembly connections on the construction site
The aim of the project is to develop self-centred connections ready to be tested for assembly of different types of wood elements such as CLT, glulam, LVL and structural timber.
There is a deficit of affordable housing in Sweden in particular. The rate of production of housing therefore needs to increase while the cost situation needs to be reduced. In addition, construction needs to be climate smarter. Wood is the building material that is best considered from a climate point of view. Wood is ideal for prefabricating industrially to a level of measurement accuracy that far exceeds what is customary in construction. Wood also grows in our vicinity and is a national resource. The innovation of the current project is to simplify, cheapen and improve by borrowing and further developing technology from one industry to another.
The aim of the project is to develop self-centred connections ready to be tested for installation of different types of wood elements. The expected longer-term effects are to shorten the time and increase the precision of installation on the construction site, thereby improving the quality of the design, increasing the efficiency of the construction site and thus reducing the total construction cost.
The project is a natural continuation of the project Spin-off from the furniture industry to the construction industry financed by Vinnova (reference number 2018–04332).
- Blomqvist, L., Honfi, D., Johansson, M., Ziethén, R., Crocetti, R., Norén, J. (2021). Development of novel structural connections – inspiration from furniture industry. Proceedings of the 2021 World Conference on Timber Engineering (WCTE).
- Säfwe, G., Wåhlander, R. (2021). Monteringsstudie av träfackverk med förband av björkplywood. Student thesis (Degree project). Stockholm, KTH.
- Hedlund, P., Persson, P. (2021). Complex Stress States In Structural Birch Plywood: An experimental study on the behaviour of birch plywood in structural applications. Student thesis (Degree project). Stockholm KTH.
- Debertolis, M., Laurinaviciute, A. (2022). Load-bearing wood connections using birch plywood: An experimental study of birch plywood gusset plates behaviour with mechanical connectors. Student thesis (Degree project). Stockholm, KTH.
- Ringaby, J. (2022). Moment-resisting connections for glulam using birch plywood: An experimental study on both mechanical and adhesive connections. Student thesis (Degree project). Stockholm, KTH.
- Wang, T. (2022). On the in-plane mechanical properties of birch plywood. Licentiate Thesis. Stockholm, KTH Royal Institute of Technology. http://kth.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1711342/FULLTEXT01.pdf
- Wang, Y., Wang, T., Crocetti, R., Schweigler, M., Wålinder, M. (2023). Embedment behavior of dowel-type fasteners in birch plywood: Influence of load-to-face grain angle, test set-up, fastener diameter, and acetylation. Construction and Building Materials. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2023.131440
- Wang, T., Wang, Y., Crocetti, R., Wålinder, M., Bredesen, R., Blomqvist, L. (2023). Adhesively bonded joints between spruce glulam and birch plywood for structural applications: experimental studies by using different adhesives and pressing methods. Wood Material Science & Engineering. https://doi.org/10.1080/17480272.2023.2201577
- Wang, Y. (2023). In-plane mechanical properties of acetylated birch plywood and its response to humidity elevation. Licentiate Thesis. Stockholm, KTH Royal Institute of Technology. https://kth.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1753246/FULLTEXT01.pdf
- Lars Blomqvist, Roberto Crocetti, August Claesson, Zakaria Ben Osmane, Rune Ziethén, Marie Johansson (2023). Experimental and numerical analyses of a connection for CLT structures. Proceedings of the 2023 World Conference on Timber Engineering (WCTE).http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1767723/FULLTEXT02.pdf
- Wang, T., Wang, Y., Crocetti, R., Wålinder, M., Persson, P., Hedlund, P. (2023). Glulam frames adhesively bonded by means of birch plywood plates: preliminary investigations. Proceedings of the 2023 World Conference on Timber Engineering (WCTE).
RISE role in project
Coordinator, Project leader
3 year and 9 month
3 000 000 SEK