A one-day workshop covering 10 different analytical instruments used for surface characterisation and their use in research, product/process development and troubleshooting.
A one-day workshop on surface analysis and characterization instruments. During the day you will have the opportunity to get acquainted with ten different techniques. During 25 min stops in the Stockholm laboratories of RISE's unit for Bioscience and Materials you will get concise information from our specialists and see the instruments.
At the end of the day you will have acquired a better understanding of how results from these techniques can be used by your company/organization in research, product and process development and troubleshooting.
Zeta potential - interfacial tension - contact angle - interfacial rheology - wettability - adsorption - desorption - topography - QCM - AFM - ellipsometry - XPS - ESCA - Confocal Raman Microscopy - chemical composition - imaging - surface structure - electron microscopy - tactile friction- Force Board
This workshop aims at providing an overview of the principle of operation, possibilities and limitations of a wide variety of analytical instruments intended for the characterization of surface and interfacial properties.
This workshop is intended for engineers, laboratory personnel and scientists working with research, development or quality control of products for which surface or interfacial properties have a major impact on product performance. Target industrial sectors span over a wide range including: pharma, foods, cosmetic, paper and packaging, coatings and material applications
See information on “Target audience”.
Diverse scientists and instrument specialists from RISE's unit for Bioscience and Materials.
Analytical techniques covered
• Zeta potential of particles/drops - Dynamic Light Scattering (DLS)
• Zeta potential of macroscopic solids - streaming potential and streaming current measurements
• Interfacial tension and interfacial rheology - Pendant drop
• Wettability of fibers/powders/surfaces - Contact angle instrument
• Surface Topography- Stylus Profilometer
• Adsorption/Desorption - Quartz Crystal Microbalance-Dissipative (QCM-D)
• Surface topography/imaging and interactions between surfaces - Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM)
• Chemical composition/Surface structure - Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) with Energy-dispersive X-ray analysis (EDX/EDS/EDAX). Environmental Scanning Electron Microscopy (ESEM)
• Chemical composition - X-ray Photoelecton Spectroscopy/Electron Spectroscopy for Chemical Analysis (XPS/ESCA)
• Chemical composition and imaging - Confocal Raman Microscopy
• Tactile Friction – Force Board
Hand-out material with basics and application examples of the different techniques.
For workshop overview see link below:
” I got a good overview of the different available techniques. The information was presented in a way that made it easy to assess if the technique could be useful in my work.”
“The hand-out material is very well-prepared. I specially appreciate that it contains many good application examples! "
Overall rating by participants of the course 2018:
Excellent: 38% of course participants, Good: 62% of course participants
Overall rating of the performance of the lecturers in 2018:
Excellent: 54% of course participants, Good: 46% of course participants
16 sep 2020
RISE, Drottning Kristinas väg 45, Stockholm, Sweden. 500 m from the subway station Tekniska Högskolan. https://app.bwz.se/ri/b/uf/file/216_Transportation%20details_%20RISE%20Drottning%20Kristinas%20v%c3%a4g%2045_2019.pdf
The fee covers all tuition costs, course documentation, lunch and coffee break refreshments. Accommodation is not included in the fee.
We kindly ask participants to book their own accommodation.
Link to recommended hotels with discount codes:
6 800 excluding VAT
The course fee will be invoiced to registered participants shortly after registration deadline. Information on the invoicing details needed is provided in the registration form.
27 aug 2020
Cancellation up to 14 Days before the event 100% refund, cancellation 14-7 days before the event 50% refund. No refund if you cancel later than 7 Days before the event. After informing the organizers a colleague can take your place if you cannot participate.Please register here.
The workshop is organised annually, typically around the same time of the year.